High School Outsider

I remember feeling like an outsider when I was in elementary, junior and senior high school. There just weren't other mixed girls like me - raised Jewish, tons of freckles, a nose that was black from the front and white from the side. I made the most of it - had my own style that was complimented and pursued and won the heart of the captain of the football team of the local all-boy prep school.
At the same time, I never wondered if other people felt like outsiders. Of course, as an adult, I know that most teens feel different but today I got a sharp reminder from a former classmate who had scoliosis. Here's her blog, about getting the back brace that she wore for most of high school. Having a pity party for yourself, read this: http://mycellblock.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment